Monday, September 14, 2009

The spinning yogi.

My first experiment was YAS, a yoga and spinning studio in Silverlake and Venice. I found the studio because when I googled “exercise, Hollywood” the website came up and the first class is FREE! I tried the Yoga for Athletes class because the idea of spinning makes me want to ride a bike off a cliff. Now, before this class if you asked me if I liked Yoga, I would promptly shout, “Hell, no!” I hate sitting or standing still. This class was only 60 minutes and we moved around quite a bit. I had this incredible happy feeling that came over me by the end. I bought a 10 class package at a 10% “first-timer” discount. I went back to the studio looking for that same feeling but never achieved it. I still loved the yoga classes but I think I was trying too hard to have the same transcendent experience. One day I went and I was the only student! I got a very inexpensive private lesson. I told the teacher, James, that I had a hard time going from plank into the push-up. By hard time I mean I physically could not do it. (These are not normal push-ups, they want you to keep your arms by your sides and use your triceps instead of your pecs.) How could a girl who danced from ages 3-21 and still does on and off be such a weakling? I don’t know. If a pushup required leg muscles instead, I would be a push-up pro. James helped me get the proper form for the push up and I at least have a glimmer of hope that one day I will be able to do the girl version. After a couple of yoga classes, I decided to try the dreaded spinning class. They have a YAS class which is ½ hour spinning, ½ hour Yoga. I got through the spinning but couldn’t wait until yoga. My teacher was awesome and everyone else seemed into it but I just don’t like spinning. I would rather run. Not that I like running. Those bike seats are hard. Apparently if you use your abs to lift up while spinning you won’t feel that hard seat so much. We’ll see. I definitely have to try it again because I don’t want to rule it out after one ½ hour class. Plus, all the teachers are in SICK SHAPE! It’s the combo of spinning and yoga that gets them there. I will go back to YAS after my class package is used up. The studio is beautiful and the teachers have good energy.

To find out more about YAS and get a coupon for a free class go to:
www.go2yas.com

2 comments:

  1. Came across your blog while looking at yelp reviews of yas. Love yas! Like you, I have been in sick shape before, but alas no longer. My goal is to get back down to a 4 by the holidays!!!

    Would love to keep following your posts about exercise experimentation in LA, so keep posting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure that If you bring a friend to try this place that you print out the coupon for the first free class. They are Stalinesque when it comes to this policy and it has soured my taste for this place. Also the woman who run this joint just made a dvd called "No Om Yoga". At first I was all about this concept but having tried some "om-ish" yoga I realized that the Yas version is liked canned pineapple. Why have canned when you can eat it fresh.

    ReplyDelete